Every Parent wants to grow up their children as being a good citizen. The qualities of a good citizen are important to living with respect in society. A child’s academic achievements and success relate to the moral strength and social values of a child.
Several types of research show that those children who grow up with characteristics of good citizenship have more ability to contribute to society. Many parents don’t know how to raise a child with the qualities of a good citizen. So, following are the top 10 qualities of a good citizen and ways to develop them in children below:
Top 9 Qualities of a Good Citizen and Ways to Develop Them in Children
The children who do not learn proper moral values can face many problems in their elder age such as alcohol use, smoking, dropping out of school, and teenage pregnancy. Parents should try to develop the following qualities of good citizen qualities in early childhood.
The question arises here what is compassion? Compassion is a component of good qualities that involve mental, physical, and emotional feelings for others.“Self-compassion is simply compassion directed in the ward, relating to ourselves as the object of care and concern when faced with the experience of suffering” (Neff, 2003).
It enables the child to tolerate others’ beliefs and points of view. Compassion prepares the child to feel joy and excitement rather than despair and anger at others’ achievements.
The child starts crying when he hears another sound of crying around him and feels happy when he sees others who making happy sounds. Compassion helps the child to understand how other’s children feel. Develop compassion in your child by practicing the act of caring and loving towards others.
How to Develop Compassion in A Child
1. Discuss the point of view of other’s people with your child: Ask the child what he or she feels during watching a TV or reading a book. In this way, the child starts to understand the other feeling.
2. Try to become a role model for your child: Show caring and loving behavior for others in the presence of your child. for others. Help the needy persons and open the door for your child’s friends. Arrange the errand for seeing sick relatives and neighbors.
3. Give the advantage of the doubt: When your child complains against other children that he pushes him. Satisfy your child that such things happen when people are in a hurry.
4. Explain the differences between culture and civilization: For example, when your child says that our neighbors dress very funny, explain to him/her that some people wear dresses that reflect their culture.
2. Fairness and Honesty
Honesty means being truthful with ourselves as well as with others. Don’t mislead others for the sack of personal benefits. Make a decision on the basis of evidence rather than prejudice. Parents should provide opportunities that help their children to become honest and fair.
1.Discourse dishonesty: Discourage dishonest actions and cheating in the fantasy period. Advise the child that telling lies is a bad thing.
2. Become Role Model: Show honest relations with your children. Explain the difference between honesty and dishonesty. Tell him about the negative effects of dishonesty and the benefits of honesty in daily life.
3. Benefits of honesty in Professional life: Tell your story that how you behaved honestly in your professional and social life.
4.Tell the Stories: Tell your story that how you behaved honestly in your professional and social life. You can also tell other stories that encourage the child to love with honesty.
3. Self- Discipline
Self-discipline is also called self- control. It is the ability to control impulses and reactions. Self-discipline helps the children to control their feelings and actions which hurt others. Parents must help to regulate child behavior and give your child willpower to make perfect decisions.
1. Motivate your child to set the reachable goals.
2. Encourage the child to set a deadline to complete a goal.
3. Develop a sense of competence in early childhood and child need the experience of success.
4. Create an Ability to Make Good Judgment
Develop the habits in children to make differences between right and wrong. Try to develop decision-making skills at an early age. Provide the opportunity to develop the ability to reach the right conclusion.
1. Teach your child to think before any action.
2. Inspire your child that he must think about the consequences of any action that he is trying to do things right or wrong.
3. Develop the habit to follow the rules in any situation.
5. Respect for Others
Respect for others is the primary quality of a good citizen. Teach your child to speak and act respectfully. Stop your child to insult others and usage of rude languages. Parents respect the child and provide the ideal environment at home. Show your child how to respect relatives and friends.
1. Show a respectful way of communicating. Help the child to know how to talk and communicate with his peers and others.
2. Teach the child how to respect the cultural values and heritage.
3. Motivate your child to help the community and participate in a common purpose.
4. Teach your child how to resolve conflict effectively. Let the child solve his problem and help the child when he needs help.
1. Encourage your child to build a good image and positive identity.
2. The child must believe in his ability and integrity.
3. Help the child to show his natural talent and provide them opportunities to build the ability to set the reachable goal in his early childhood.
4. Provide Coaching to select an accessible and valuable goal.
7. Build the Courage in your Children
Courage is the ability to overcome fear during a difficult situation when a person is confused to take the right decision. The courage prepares the child for making hard decisions on the basis of evidence rather than thinks about what is easy and popular. Teach your child how to behave bravely in difficult situations. Encourage your child when he acts courageously at home and school.
8. Increase Responsibility
Let the child act independently. The responsible children always take responsibility for their actions and don’t blame others for their actions. Teach your child to think about the consequences before his act. Responsible children set their goals and try to make the plane to reach the goal. The good citizen should be resilient in finding a way to overcome problems. They have the ability to work for community and family for the common purpose.
9. Promote Patriotism
Patriotism is one of the most important qualities of a good citizen. A good citizen offers. his services for the betterment of the community and for the country. Patriotism is the name of love and loyalty for the country. A good citizen accepts his responsibilities. For example, he tries to get information about national issues, volunteering activities, and try to serve for his nations during the war and peace. 1. Talk with your child about the present political environment in the country and discuss how we can make it better. 2. Provide the activities for your child to participle in community-based activities such as donation, volunteer activities, and recycling programs. 3. Motivate your child to participate with the community in cleaning parks and assist him in school activities. 4. Show the example of a good citizen in front of your child. Set a good example of responsible activities.
In conclusion: It is the primary responsibility of parents to produce good citizens in the country. This article helps the parents to develop the qualities of good citizenship in their children. A good citizen always promotes the good name and fame of the country. Good citizenship is important for any county to have a positive development and for the relationship with other countries and neighbors.