Career exploration is an important part of education. Career exploration is a learning process about various occupations to find out the unique career preferences that should match with the interest and skills of a student and he is satisfied with his career.
After selecting the career, the next phase is career development. Career development or career education is defined is a process of developing ability, attitude, and getting knowledge that enables children to perform efficiently in their chosen career. Some time is also called vocational education.
Career Exploring Activities
It is the collective responsibility of parents, teachers, and the community to organize the career exploring activities in primary education. There are 8 best career exploration activities for students. Through these activities, parents easily improve career developing attitudes in children.
1. Career Awareness
Career awareness helps the child to know about the natural characteristics of the career. In this way, a child easily selects the best profession for his life. Career awareness provides the foundation for career development. This is the best way for career exploration for middle school students as well. Parents must try to know the child’s interest. It is a challenging task that how parents help the child in the career developmental process.
How to Improve Career Awareness
Here are 10 top tips to improve career awareness in children. They also help the parents to provide career awareness in their children an effective way.
1.Discussion about Different Professions with your Child: Discuss with the child about different types of occupations/professions in childhood. Career counseling is the best part of education. This helps to identify the child’s interest in a specific profession.
2.Exploration: Explore the nature and requirements of different jobs and businesses for your child.
3. Discuss with your child about His Future Plan: Provide the environment in which the child frequently talks about his future, planning and he can show his interests and visions.
4. Encourage the Career-Related Talk: Parents encourage the child when he starts to discuss his interest and career selection.
5. Provide the Opportunity to Get Experience: Provide opportunities to the child for getting an introduction and experience as a worker or volunteer. Visit the workplace for getting information. Let the child practically examine, use the tools of different trades/professions, and get information. This activity helps to increase the child’s interest in a professional career.
6. Discuss Available Opportunities: Discuss with your child about the latest opportunism of occupations. It may help the child to show more interest to develop his career.
7. Encourage the development of a child’s hobbies: Discuss with the child how people convert their hobbies into the job with examples.
8. Arrange the Meeting with Experts: Arrange the meetings with people who work in areas of your child’s interest.
2. Build Positive Professional Attitudes
The home and school environment plays a significant role in the development of professional attitudes. Parents try to develop suitable attitudes that relate to a career. Every occupation requires some primary attitudes such as discipline and regularity which must be developed.
7 Tips to Promote Professional Attitudes in Students
There are 5 ways to develop professional attitudes related to the profession. The can help the parents to develop positive attitudes in their children:
1. Try to Make the Child Responsible: Give some work fix some responsibilities to your child at home such as making his own bed, watering, and keeping his own room straightened. These little activities help the child to build professional attitudes. Appreciate the child when he starts to show responsible behaviors.
2. Look on the Ability and Interest of Child: Discuss openly and distribute the jobs fairly, considering available time, interest, and ability of your child.
3. Become the Role Model for your Child: Parents show their behavior as a role model.
4. Share Succesful Stories: Share your success stories and positive behavior related to the job.
5. Assist and Praise the Child: Parents should assess the child’s progress and behavior from time to time.
3. Self Awareness
Self- awareness is an important factor in career education. Occupational choices strongly relate to self- awareness. The big question arises here, how parents develop the self- awareness in children which strongly helps the child’s career development.
How to Build Self Awareness Ability
The following are the top ways to improve the self-awareness regarding career development:
1. Identify the areas where your child can improve: Don’t focus on your expectation and interest. Look upon the child’s abilities and interests. Change your expectations according to child abilities and interests. Provide career counseling suggestions only and let the child to take sessions independently.
2. Encourage The Child: Encourage the child when he performs well and praise him for his achievements.
3. Let the child explore himself: Self-Understanding and expression are necessary for career development. Let the child explore his/her potential for a better understanding of self.
4. Respect the Child Values and Interest: Say to your child that his wishes and interests are accepted and valuable to them. Let the child express his emotions towards family members, friends, and other fellows. Keep in mind that expression behavior should be social and acceptable. Parents should choose a suitable way when they want to change anti-social behavior. Learn the methods that how to change the antisocial behavior in childhood.
5. Build Unique Image: The unique image is important for the development of self-awareness. parents should Become the role model and spend leisure-time in community work as a volunteer. Encourage the child to do some work as a volunteer for the community.
6. Respect the Hobbies of your Child: Find the time to support the child for his hobbies in the appropriate way.
7. Praise your child: Encourage your child by rewarding with praise after completing his job or work.
4. Develop the Decision Making Ability
Decision-making skills play a vital role in career development. Parents must develop decision-making abilities in early childhood. It is important to understand that there are many reasons behind the child’s career selection which relate to capabilities, values, liabilities, experiences, fears, likes, and dislikes. The elementary level is very important to shape the attitudes concerning earning and spending of money. The child has more opportunities at the elementary level for the decision-making process according to economics.
How to Improve Decision Making Skills Regarding Professional Career
This is an important topic that how to develop decision-making skills in childhood. There are some important tips to develop decision-making ability regarding career development.
1. The play has an important role in the development of decision-making ability in children.
2. Provide opportunities for your child in the selection of the school program. Keep the better options, inform the child about various possible alternatives and their consequences before making the decision.
3. Help the child to understand the other’s decision making actions. Discuss with the child why he made this decision or why other people make that decision.
The child must aware of all the goods and services which are available for him. Ask the child where we do get fresh bread? How does the store get its fruits and vegetables? Let the child find the answer by searching in books or other persons. Help the child to find the information in the books and from the right people.
Try to increase the child’s information and knowledge about the marketing, distribution, and restoring process of goods. Inform him about the making and restoring process.
How to Promote Economic Awareness
There are eight effective strategies to give economic awareness to your child:
1. Promote Sharing Work: Teach the child about the importance of collective work in business and every field of life.
2. Awar the Child about Social Services: Visit to post office, utility stores, and tell the child how they work for us.
3. Provide the Opportunity to Experience: Provide the opportunity for the child to getting some experience of business and work on any suitable project. The business experience is important for child career development.
4. Engage the Child in Home: The small home – operated business plays an effective role in the development of a career. Engage the child in the home- operated business such as lawn cutting, childcare, cooking, and door to door selling. Involve the child in family projects from the planning stage to finishing.
5. Aware of the Child How to Make a Budget:
Parents involve the child in the budgeting process at home such as saving technique, credit, and insurance policies for economic understanding. Parents must talk openly about the family budget and inform the child how much they earned in the month. Explain to the child how the budget goes for several expenses such as the electronic bill, house rent, and insurance, etc. Discuss how can they spend on children and let the child make their budget according to his pocket money.
6. Discuss with the Child about Economic and Social Benefits of Different Professions: The child needs to aware that how occupational choices impact their personal economic situation and lifestyle.
7. Visit Workplace Before Take A Decision: Plan a trip to the job places and show the child how they work. Inform the child about economic benefits such as which type of job has a lot of money and which is belong to the low-income outcome. This activity helps the child to select the perfect choices.
6. Educational Awareness toward Professional Career
The educational awareness helps the child to understand to nature of the profession and enable him to assure that he can achieve the desired goal. Educational Awareness assists the child to choose the best profession.
How to Provide Educational Awareness
The following five tips help the parents to provide educational awareness:
1. Discuss with the child about his interests and ask him what he wants to become in the future such as a doctor, physician, and technician, etc. Open the options and try to know the child’s interest areas.
2. Provide the opportunity for the child to work as a volunteer. Inform the child about the educational requirement of the specific job. Aware of the child about the requirements of the job which are necessary to reaching the selected goal.
3. Discuss the ways and roots to reach the desired goal such as scholarship programs etc. Provide the literature about the areas of interest of the child.
4. Provide the information and career counseling to your child form school career counselors, librarians, occupational specialist, and that person who know about the areas of child interest. Parents also try to increase their information related to the child’s occupational area and discuss it with their child.
5. Arrange the discussion session with school counselors or occupational specialist for the aptitude tests when your child feels hesitation to explore his interest.
7. Develop Employability skills
Employability skills are an essential part of career education. The home is the first workplace which plays a key role in the development of employ-ability skills in children. The child learns who communicates with others. The parents should develop social and communication skills in early childhood. Social Skills are necessary for the building of human relationships.
How to Improve Employ Ability Skills in Children
It is the important question that how parent develops the employability skills in the children. There are six tips to develop employability skills:
1. Teach the methods for resolving conflict and how the child avoids the power struggle game. Develop the listening ability in your child. Listening ability and following the direction are the essential parts of communication.
2. Give the opportunity to the child for assembling a molding role in the play.
3. Parents must admit when they feel that they made the wrong decision and judgment in the presence of the child. Teach the child that the realization of poor judgment is good practice.
4. Provide opportunities for the child to supervise others and work under the other’s supervision. Both types of opportunities develop responsible behavior in the children.
5. Discuss with your child about the higher authorities such as parental authority and governmental o and institutional authorities. These authorities regulate the business and other family-related issues.
8. Develop the Competency
Teachers and parents must focus on the development of competences. The child requires developing several competencies for a successful life.
1. Parents should give positive feedback on the child’s work and give some suggestions to more improving his working ability.
2. Guardian and Parents also have strong influences on the development of a child’s habits such as accuracy and completeness. Encourage the child to complete any task and ensure accuracy during working.
3. Parents try to develop responsible behavior in their children such as clean up the work area. Teach the child about the characteristics which make the child responsible.
Career Exploring activities and career development both are the primary part of school education. It assists the children/individual to choose their occupational and educational careers. Career counseling for students also helps them to understand their strengths and weakness. Parents must provide a friendly environment and instruct children in effective ways to select the appropriate profession.